End of the year.
It’s always amazing to look back in a year to realize how much it changed us. Every year comes with its ups and downs. They come full or victories and disappointments. The fortunate ones keep every person in their lives, while others lose some of the most important people in their lives. In all honesty, some years I have focused so much on the negative and I forget the biggest blessing which is being able to hold on to the ones I love. What if we changed the narrative? What if we start looking at the failures differently? Some of the most successful people take their worst situation into their biggest blessing.
This year I decided to write about the moments that changed my life, the people who were a part of those moments, and what it taught me. Of course, I won’t point out people by name but if you read this and find yourself being mentioned… thank you! These moments and people helped me grow in my personal life, and as a professional. Life is too short and in the moments when I failed THIS year… I was able to manage better than in the previous years. I have grown.
- The moment I walked across the stage to received my Bachelor’s Degree and everyone who showed up to celebrate… teaching me the power of perseverance and how loved I am.
- The moment I made some poor financial decisions losing my home and the people who had my back…. teaching me that I am too old for this, and people are willing to help me, I just needed to ask.
- The people who came and left quickly… teaching me that not everyone is meant to be in your life forever.
- The people who never left… even when it was hard.
- The moment I felt isolated by circumstances… teaching me that I need my peers.
- The moments of disappointment… teaching me is ok to walk away.
- The people who were truthful to the point of discomfort… teaching me it is necessary to endure a moment of discomfort that can heal.
- The people who allowed me to tell my story… teaching me that is ok to face the things that scare me.
- The moments I spent with everyone I love… teaching me the importance of being strategic with my time.
- The moments I felt I couldn’t go on and the people who were there to carry me through the storm… I hope I was that good of a friend to you all.
As a new year is about to begin, I want to thank everyone who just showed up in my life. My biggest goal in 2018 is to be the kind of friend who shows up. Material things will come and go, but friendships and family are the most important equation to life.
Until Next Time!