I was a happy child. I loved singing, playing with dolls, and absolutely loved going to church. However, when I got older my life got muddy and confusing. I experienced negative things that changed me forever and shaped me to who I would become. As I got older life continued to be hard but today I can honestly say…. like a lotus flower I was able to rise from all the muddiness and I’ve bloomed.
Last Saturday, I found myself lost in old pictures. Many from my teen years after moving to the states and a few from when I was younger. After everything I’ve experienced, at some point in my journey I lost who I was supposed to be. I started thinking about my battle with insecurity, anxiety, depression, and even choices that brought me down a dark path. I really can’t believe how far I’ve come, and can’t even take all the credit. I whole heartedly believe God helped me through it all.
But when I sat back with those beautiful pictures on my lap… I started to think, what could I have told that girl? No, I would not want to change everything that made me who I am today… but I would have liked to whisper and tell her…
- You are beautiful, just the way you are.
- Do not lose the authentic girl who loves the world.
- It was not your fault.
- One day, you will help other.
- It’s ok to fall in love because it is a gift.
- That little one will make life worth living.
- You don’t need to be ashamed.
- You do not deserve that abuse.
- Be careful, words are deceiving and you will get hurt.
- Focus on actions and proceed accordingly.
- You will look at someone in their eyes and understand their pain.
- Be bold and strong.
- Some people will love you and some will use you… pay attention.
- Stay away from… I don’t have a good feeling.
- Keep your chin up.
- Learn to take care of yourself and only do what you love.
- You are enough.
- God made you and He doesn’t make mistakes.
- You will survive hell because you have a purpose.
- Don’t be afraid to speak up. Your words have substance and power.
What would you have told your younger self? Write it in the comments…